Monday, May 11, 2009

Charles' Baptism!!


Charles was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, on Friday, April 17, 2009, in Meridian, Idaho.

It was a beautiful trip!! We left on the Monday morning following Easter. We made it all the way to my sister, Beth's house in Clearfield, Ut. We stayed up and played games and talked for hours! The next morning, our BIL, Ken was a baking maniac! He made us cinnamon rolls, breadsticks and homemade pizza- all from scratch!!
The next day, we stopped at our friend's, the Woolf's house and visited for a couple of hours on our way to Glenn's brother, Gordon's house. They live in Smithfield, Ut. We got to visit the site where they are building their new home! Then they drove us up to Preston, Idaho to see Glenn's cousin, Lori's hot spring water park! I was very impressed! We are having our family reunion there in July. It is still a work in progress, but they've really done a lot with it! That night, Sandra, Laurel, Alison, and I watched Twilight together. The next morning, Sandra made us a wonderful breakfast before we headed out to Idaho.

We made it to Glenn's parent's house before dinner and had some time to sit and visit. Then Glenn's sister, Joanne and her family came over. Joanne and I went shopping for all of the food for the baptism dinner. We stayed at Joanne's house for the rest of the trip. The next morning, Joanne made Charles' cake and we got ready for the baptism festivities! We went to Deseret Book and I got him a really nice CTR ring. Glenn took Charles out with the guys and bought him a BB/pellet gun. Then we met up with Glenn's mom and went out to lunch.
The next day was the baptism!! Joanne had made all of the arrangements for the building, but we were on our own! We had to set up and fill the font ourselves! Joanne and Josh made the programs for me and I had bought each of the kids CTR rings to wear at the baptism. We were so excited because our wonderful bishop and his wife and youngest daughter had flown up to Idaho just to see Charles' baptism! It was so special to have them there. He conducted the baptism for us. Glenn got to baptize his son.

The reason we had the baptism in Idaho, was because of Glenn's father, Charles had gotten so ill in January and couldn't travel. Charles had asked him to do the confirmation blessing, and we had to make that happen for both of them. It was a beautiful blessing that made me cry. I felt the spirit so strongly in that room.

After the baptism, we all went to Joanne's house for dinner. I had made a pasta bar. We had red sauce and alfredo sauce over penne pasta with italian sausages cooked on the side. We also had rolls and salad. It was much better than the "spaghetti with no meat" that Charles had requested, and he loved it!

It was such a wonderful time to have almost all of Glenn's family together! Gordon and Sandra came up for the baptism even though we had just been at their house! That was such a blessing that they could make the trip! We loved seeing all of our family. I can't wait until July!!

The next morning, we left Idaho. We went to Glenn's parent's house to say our "good-bye's". His mom made us a good breakfast and sent us on our way!

That day, we made it all the way to St. George. On the way, we stopped in Orem to see my dear Mindy and her family. We had lunch together and visited, but it wasn't long enough! It never is.


When we got to St. George, it was dinner time, but the kids wanted to show Glenn Brigham Young's home before it closed. So we did the tour and I think Glenn liked it! We then checked in the hotel and got freshened up for dinner at Chuck-a-Rama. Glenn LOVED it and it was his favorite part of the whole trip I think. He ate sooo much!!

When we got back to the hotel, Charles wanted to swim, so I took him. Glenn and Maryn decided to watch TV together. I was too cold to go in the pool, but Charles jumped right in! I wanted to get in the jacuzzi, but it was bright green. Too many kids hanging out in there, I think. After a while, coldness won out and I got in knowing I'd be showering after anyway.
The next day, we went home! It was a long drive with minimal stops because Glenn was focused on getting back. We made it in record time, I think!

Thanks to all of you that made this trip so special for us and opened your homes to us! Thank you for helping with the baptism and making it such a happy, loving, experience for us! We love you all!

8 comments:

Mindy said...

LOVE your last photo. You are soooo gorgeous!

Darice said...

Congratulations, Charles!! Your baptism sounded like it was really special! How neat for your Bishop to come all the way to Idaho- just for your baptism! Let's you know how special they are!! You made a good choice, Charles!

Jill said...

Congrats Charles! You've taken a big, important step in your life.

Jamie, if you ever come to Utah county again and don't come to see me. I'll be very mad!

Glad you had a great trip.

The Greathouse Family said...

Jill! I will come see you this summer when I'm traveling with the kids. As nice as my husband is, he's not very social after long car drives and it's easier for me to do my socializing when I'm alone. So, I'll message you before July and see when you're free!
Love you, Jamie

Teri said...

What an awesome baptism story! What waterpark are you talking about in Idaho? Earl's mom used to live near Preston and we've had reunions around there before.

Jaime said...

Finally! Thanks for posting this.

Melanie said...

What a special day! Congrats to Charles! We have Tyler getting baptized in August! So crazy! It was so neat when Evan got baptized 2 years ago. What a neat experience!

Ange said...

Congrats Charles!! Looks like a really nice experience, I can't believe he is 8!!