Saturday, January 24, 2009

Glenn's Dad and our Trip to Idaho!


Warning- this will be a long post!

This past week, Glenn and I packed up the kids on a half-day's notice and drove to Idaho. The Sunday after Christmas, Glenn's father fell on the ice while walking into the prison to do his Bishopric calling. He slipped and broke his hip and right arm in multiple places. He was alone and laid in the snow for quite a while screaming for help until a guard finally heard him. They rushed him to the hospital and did surgery the next day. The surgery was a success even with the diabetes and we were all grateful.

A few days later, he went into respiratory failure, then kidney failure. Our whole world changed that day. He made it through but was still not thriving and seemed to be dwindling away. Because his organs weren't functioning properly, they couldn't process all of the IV fluids. His whole body started breaking out in hundreds of huge, weeping blisters. Then he stopped eating. We had to go visit him immediately!

We pulled Charles out of school for a week and drove to my sister's house. On the way there, Glenn got another call from the family and we almost put him on a plane from Salt Lake that night because it sounded like he might not make it through the night. Glenn's sister, Joanne called us back and reassured us that he would be fine through the night and we stayed at my sister's place that night.

The next morning, we met Glenn's brother, Gordon, at the freeway, to pick up his dad's truck. Glenn got to drive it back to Idaho for him. I think it helped him feel a little closer to him. Glenn drove directly to the hospital and I took the kids to Joanne's house to have a break before we went to the hospital.

When we finally got to the hospital, it was really hard. Glenn's dad was really bad. He was the worst that he'd been since the accident. Joanne was with him when the nurse came to wake him. No one could wake him. He didn't respond to yelling, shaking or squeezing his hands. I started to cry and Glenn had to leave the room. It took him about a half an hour to wake up. He was confused and disoriented. He didn't know we were there. Glenn stayed the night a the hospital for the next two nights. He was hoping to be able to have some sort of conversation with his dad, but he never had any clear moments.

The worst part of the trip was realizing that the hospital staff had given up on him. They stopped giving him blood, or any fluids. They didn't care if he wore his breathing mask or if he ate. They only gave him Tylenol and insulin. Glenn's sister, Pam, was in the room one morning when his doctor came in to do her rounds, and this was her greeting:
"Hi Charles. Remember me? Of course you don't! You don't remember anything, do you?"
At the same time, the insurance company threatened to stop coverage for him because they said he was "chronic" and the hospital was kicking him out to a convalescent home. Glenn's mom was beside herself. To continue basic care, it was going to be $9,000 per month.

At this moment in time, when all seemed lost, a huge blessing happened! Glenn's uncle Paul is a doctor in San Diego and came to visit while he was on a skiing trip. He immediately started talking to everyone at that hospital! He even got a nurse to write a recommendation to the insurance company requesting them to cover a skilled nursing facility and change his status to "acute" which meant he was covered!!! The next day, he was approved for the best care facility we could hope for- $60,000 per month 100% covered by insurance!

Little-by-little we watched him improve. he started recognizing us and said our names. He also started eating a little bit. The new facility is beautiful and so caring. They are taking such good care of him and his wounds. His mind is back in full. If he can regain some energy and avoid infection, I know he'll recover.

This has been the most frightening experience for us. The thought of losing Glenn's dad, is almost unbearable. We love him so much and we will keep praying for his recovery. Tomorrow I'll post the picture I took of him and the kids. I could only get him to open his eyes for a second to take the picture and he didn't know what I was doing. I thought it was the last picture I'd have of him, but now, I hope to take pictures of him at Charles' baptism in April!

12 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh my gosh Jamie so frightening. I'm glad you guys could go. I wasn't sure what was going on so we just kept praying for your family to be safe and to feel the comfort of the Spirit. I'm so glad he was able to be moved to a different facility. It's amazing what a difference the right place can make. I'm glad you got home safely.

Laurel R. G. said...

Gotta love Grandpa Greathouse! Thanks for posting this segment!

Jill said...

Wow Jamie, that's quite a story. I'm so glad that your father-in-law is doing better. What a great story that miracles do happen. Someone must have been looking out for Glenn's dad!

Vivian said...

I'm so glad things are getting better for Glenn's dad. I'm just thankful you were able to be there to see him. I'm so sorry that the hospital staff behaved in that manner and what a blessing for your uncle to get there and talk some sense to them.

The Greathouse Family said...

Thank you all for your well-wishes and prayers!

Cory said...

what a scary thing. i hope he will make a full recovery.

Mindy said...

I am glad things are going better. I just know he will be better for Charles' baptism. It is going to be so beautiful and wonderful to witness such a blessed evnt. I can't wait!!

Cherish said...

So scary! I'm grateful that he is doing better and hope he will make a full recovery.

Ange said...

I am so sorry to hear that, These kind of things are so maddening. I hope he continues to heal, keep us posted. We will be praying for you.

Teri said...

I'm so glad that Glenn's dad is doing better. I can't imagine how horrible it was to have the hospital give up on him. What a blessing to have him where he is now and recovering well. I know Mindy is so excited for Charles' baptism in April!

AZ Powells said...

wow - that is scary. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. It is hard when something comes as a shock like that - there is no time to get "used" to the idea...and it is hard when there are grandkids that are so young too. It sounds like he will make a full recovery..sometimes all you need is a little love and care that can bring you back, and it sounds like the facility is doing just that for him. Take care and keep us posted on his progress.

Call Family said...

Hello-I have been checking your blog occasionally since I noticed the link to it on Dave and Liz's blog. I grew up in Brea 2nd ward with Glenn and JoAnne-I was Jennifer Hartmann-now Call. I thought the world of Glenn's parents as they were some of the nicest kindest people in the ward!!! Please send them my best-it is so good to hear that he is doing better:)