Friday, January 30, 2009

Queen Mary Visit!!





Today I picked up Charles from school and picked up our friends, Michele and Raylee, and we all went to the Queen Mary! Glenn went on an overnight skiing trip with the guys, so I wanted to do something special with the kids. January was free admission for Southern California residents. We had a blast! The ship was so beautiful, even though it is a little run down in areas. Michele and I loved all the history and old decor. The kids loved playing on whatever was available.







We started on the self-guided tour. We could have spent more time reading every detail, but the kids weren't that patient. Everything was so interesting and I felt a little as if I was being transported back in time. We soon found ourselves on our own tour as we couldn't resist going down strange hallways and opening doors. If it didn't have a sign telling us not to enter, we entered!






As we traveled through the hallways, I couldn't suppress the desire to see one of the rooms. The information desk lady told us that we could ask the check-in counter to show us a room, but I noticed how busy they were checking in guests, so I didn't ask. But, an opportunity arose! I saw a man walking down the hallway towards us with his suitcase. I looked at Michele and smiled. The man stopped right next to us to go into his room. I had to ask him if we could see his room! He was so gracious. He was an older man from England and was so excited to be back on the ship. He said that he had sailed on the ship when he was a child. I was so happy that we got to see the room!





When we were at the information desk, Michele noticed a flyer for a para-normal investigation they were doing tonight at midnight. Seeing as how we are both lovers of ghost stories and hauntings, we were quite disappointed we couldn't participate. It would have been too expensive anyway- $75 a person.





When the kids had had enough of our tour, we decided to eat at one of the restaurants for dinner. It was so beautiful looking out at the water and the shoreline at sunset. It was the perfect ending to our wonderful, wonderful day!


I had to get a picture of Michele's awesome salad! It was so beautiful! Charles ate the flower, if you can believe that!

7 comments:

Jaime said...

Wow, I can't believe Charles ate that flower! What a fun trip for you guys.

Mindy said...

Awesome!! Wish I could have tagged along. I remember going when I was a kid. I loved it then and would surely love it now. Glad you had so much fun!!!

Jill said...

This looks like great fun! Historical too.

Cherish said...

What a fancy salad! The tour sounds like tons of fun. It's odd to see all of you in short sleeves though. I've lived away from SoCal for so long now that I forget what your winters are like!

Ronda said...

I want to go, I think I have been there once, but not actually on the boat. Looks so fun.

FrankNApril said...

How fun! I haven't been there in forever if ever? That is great u take your kids out to have fun! Awesome! We are all well. I am in Vegas and the rest are in Utah. Angie and Autumn have blogs. So does my Mom. Look on my friends link. I will check your blog often. April

rochelle said...

Hey Jamie, I found your blog through Anne's. What a fun trip to go on the Queen Mary! I also love how warm it looks in those pictures. Lucky you! We're freezing up here in Utah, just so you know! :) LOL.