Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Please Solve This Mystery!!

I have been mystified by something really annoying! We've lived in this house for 7 years and no one I've talked to can give me an answer, so now I'm turning to all of you. Our house seems to be the place where all of the neighborhood cats love to party, sunbathe, have romantic encounters, territory wars, and such. So, can any of you tell me why they sit on my front walkway and make the most obnoxious crying sound? It sounds like a groaning human cry! I can't tell you how many times I've actually jumped out of bed thinking it was one of my kids. It's very loud and sometimes it's one or more cats just sitting there doing it. Why? Why do they do this? Before I figured out it was cats I actually thought some crazy person was outside and it terrified me! They will do this all night sometimes! Last night I had to go throw stuff to make them leave. So, can you help solve this mystery?

8 comments:

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

I remember that some cats used to do this around our house growing up. I believe it is their mating call, which makes since considering they seem to "get busy" all around your house.

Jaime said...

Well, I can't tell you why your house is the party place, it stinks to be so popular! From what I've read, the only way to reduce the noise and amount of cats is to trap them and have them spayed/neutered, so they're not expanding their troop size and howling to get it on!

Animal Discount Clinic
13252 Euclid Avenue
Garden Grove, CA
714-537-0570

Teri said...

That must make a great combination with the naked lady across the street!

Melanie said...

They are in heat. We had that around our house growing up. They would make those noises under my window!! They are letting the other cats know that they are...well, horny and it's mating season!!

Cory said...

okay, so i grew up in the house that i currently live in and we had the same problem with cats and their mating rituals. after i moved out, my mom rented the place to a women that unknowingly had about 40 cats (no exaggeration). so when we kicked her out, we fixed up the place and every day when we would come over to the house to do some work, there would be cats everywhere. when we were done fixing the place up, we moved in and brought our two dogs. ever since then, we haven't had any problems with cats and never hear a "mating meow". so my advice to you would be to get a dog!! if that doesn't work for you, spray them with water (it won't hurt them) or use an empty soda can with rocks inside to scare them away. they'll eventually learn, but you have to be persistant. oh, and don't throw the soda can with the rocks inside at them, just shake it to scare them. i just wanted to be clear on that.

Vivian said...

I had the same problem here at our house, along with gophers (whole 'nother story). I bought a cat repellent that keeps them off the lawn. It works for us, the only bummer is that I have to keep using the powder every two at the beginning and then monthly after that.

Vivian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cory said...

okay so i just voted on your poll and my best way to de-stress is a nice bath and a book or magazine. i felt guilty not clicking on "pray" but then i noticed that no one else (at the time of my vote) had put it down either. we should pray first and then take a bath or eat ice cream or whatever. sad but at least we're being honest!!