Monday, June 23, 2008

Self-Induced Sleep Deprivation!

I am starting to suffer from self-induced sleep deprivation! I have recently started reading again. At the beginning of the year I had wanted to start reading some of the classics- Jane Austen to be exact. While I love her stories, I've had a hard time getting into her books in the limited amount of time I have to actually read. So, last month I decided to just pick up a new book at Target. I wanted one that was an easy read but also interesting so I picked up The DaVinci Code. I'd never read it before and it captivated me and catipulted me into the reading world full-force! Since then I've picked up books that look interesting whenever I go to Target.

Well, my last visit to Target I found the Stephanie Meyers series and purchased Twilight in paperback. So many people have gushed about her books and I knew I had to read them! I have been captured by a book again! I don't want to put it down! I can't wait for the kids to go to bed so I can have uninterrupted reading time.

But, alas, this is not the only reason I am becoming sleep-deprived. My children are not adjusting to the Summer hours very well. They don't fall asleep until about 9pm. That doesn't seem horrible... until I tell you that Charles' new wake-up time has been 5:30am- no joking. While he's usually good enough try to be quiet, Maryn has only been sleeping until 6:40am at the latest! She immediately needs to eat breakfast, or asks for a treat, or tells me she's going potty so it's absolutely pointless to try to stay in bed.

I'm thinking seriously about getting dark curtains for their room.

6 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh my gosh, Da Vinci Code was so fabulous, I have to loan you his other books; they're really good too!

Cory said...

the host is a good stephanie meyer book too. read it when you're done with the twighlight books. they're all so great! i'm half way through the host. also, yes, get dark curtains for their rooms. moma started waking up at 6:00 (7:30 was normal for us) recently due to the fact that the sun is coming up so early. we hung up a dark sheet until i can get some fabric to make a nice curtain. it's worked great and she also is sleeping heavier during her naps as well because of it.

Darice said...

We are considering dark curtains as well. The twilight series is awesome I am currently waiting for the third book to come available (I have it on hold) Happy reading and hopefully sleeping. love you!

Melanie said...

We hung dark sheets in the kids' rooms and it seems to help.

I haven't been much of a reader in life. But, all I keep hearing about is this Twilight book. All the girls in my family have read it...so I need to get a move on. Wendie loaned it to me, but she is going to steal it back for the weekend. So, next week I will start reading it. It's HUGE!! I hope it's a good read!

Ronda said...

I want to get back into reading again too.
I understand the waking up early thing, most of mine are usually, up by 6 or 6:30.

I owe you a smoothie...

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

I read the Twilight series about a month ago and I was addicted. i was even dreaming about it. Edward is so ideal! But the more I think about it, I kinda already have my Edward, and at least he's not a vampire. I have the fourth book on hold in the bookstore. I can't wait.

My kids were getting up early like that too, but since I started hanging curtains in their room, I have found it has gotten a little better.