Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Who Hires These People?

I ran to Food-4-Less this afternoon to pick up a few groceries. It's always a hassle to go there but the prices are pretty good. I usually get a grumpy check-out clerk that always seems to wish they were somewhere else and doesn't talk to me. Well today I got into line and found the cashier to be very friendly! She was young and smiled a lot. Within 45 seconds I new that she had a boyfriend with a son and a sister that she always has to discipline. Anyway, I ran my debit card and went to the end of the conveyer belt to start bagging my groceries while she continued to ring me up. She stopped and held up my bag of apricots and asked me what they were! I looked at her for a second and then told her that they were apricots. She then began to rant about how every time she asks a customer what an item is, they always look at her with a wierd look on their faces and never answer her. She thinks that customers are so dumb because they don't even know what they're buying!! As humorous as this all was, she then told me my total and I okayed it so she put the transaction through. While my card was processing, she starts saying (in front of everyone), "Okay, let's see if it clears- yep, it looks like it's gonna go through- Yep, it cleared, you're good to go!" I was so embarassed! I started wondering, do I look like the kind of person who might not be able to pay? Or, does it happen so often in that store that people can't pay? Or, is she completely devoid of any tact? .....Maybe she's ticky-tacky!

8 comments:

Cory said...

yep- i'd say ticky tacky! i would have been embarrassed too. i've had similar situations so i can relate.

Jaime said...

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me who they choose to deal with the public.

Ronda said...

Weird...I would be embarrassed too.

Mindy said...

It's good to know that there are companies out there that hire people like that. I'm more hopeful now for my kids. What are apricots anyways???

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

I loved the "ticky-tacky" touch at the end. It was awesome.

Vivian said...

I agree with the ticky-tacky comment. And you are so right about the people some businesses hire.

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

The other day I was at the grocery store, and I used my credit card to purchase a few things because I was waiting for payday the next day. You know, it was one of those weeks you were just waiting for payday, and money was tight. as the guy rung me up, I told him it was "credit" and he said in front of everyone, "Well that's unfortunate. It's not like it's a huge bill. You really can't pay with cash?" I wanted to start yelling at him about how we have nearly perfect credit, but I was too mad to even say anything at all.

Cory said...

okay so i had to post a comment on this... i had a guy last night that was so lame at wahlgreens. i come up to check out and he says to me "WHOA!! you're going to pop any time now!" i said that i have over a month left and that i have big babies. he starts telling me about how HIS baby was "big" at 7 pounds, 16 ounces. yes, that's right 16 ounces. last time i checked, 16 ounces was pound so i don't know what he was thinking. plus, you don't tell a woman that squeezed out a 10 1/2 pound kid from her hoo-haw that you're baby was "big" at 7 pounds and whatever ounces. i can only hope that this baby is 7 pounds "16" ounces. i'd shoot that thing across the room. the doctor will have to wear a catchers mit!