Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering...

Today I am remembering September 11, 2001. I was at my SIL Sandra's house in Santa Paula with my other SIL, Joanne. Charles was only 6 months old. Sandra came into our room and woke us up telling us that something aweful had happened at the World Trade Center. So early in the morning, I was confused and I honestly had no idea what the World Trade Center was all about or where it was!

We hurried downstairs to watch the news. It was all confusion! We sat listening to the news reporters trying to figure out what was going on and speculating. We watched live as the people jumped from windows and then the towers fell to the ground. Horror and terror washed over me as I watched. I saw my boy crawling and playing and I wondered if he'd get to grow up in a normal world or if this was the beginning of the end.

Joanne and I left that day. We heeded the warnings to stay away from LAX and took a longer route home.

When I got home, I heard the news that my cousin Heather was in the hospital delivering her first child- in New York! I couldn't imagine the emotions she went through that day!

Still, I remember that day as an awakening. In this world we can never be too comfortable with our surroundings. We are not immune to the evils of this world. Yet through all of this we are supposed to be able to find joy. Thank goodness for the Gospel that allows us to do just that.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

You know, I hadn't even realized the date. I walked outside and saw my neighbors flag at half-mast (sp?) and wondered who died. Well, thanks to your post...I know! Now I don't have to look like such a dummy!!

Teri said...

I remember thinking those same thoughts. "What will the world be like for my children?" I'm so thankful for the gospel. It gives us hope through everything.

Mindy said...

I remember everything from that day. My step dad also died 2 years earlier on 9-11. I remember feeling so grateful that I wasn't alone and how I wouldn't be able to bear it if something happened to my husband. I know how real the pain still is for me. My heart goes out to all those who mourn this day for a life cut too short.