Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Fun!

Today ended up being a great day! This morning we got a call from the body shop and our van was finished. It looks wonderful! I had a little bit of a heart attack when I drove it off the lot and the check engine light came on, but it went off about half-way through the day.

The kids and I had a great time at Chuck E. Cheese this afternoon. We had some tokens left over from last week so the kids played for a couple of hours. It was a much needed break from the everyday worries for me.

Tonight Glenn got to go trick-or-treating with us! We went to my grandma's neighborhood and the kids made out like bandits! At every house I'd try to get the kids to say "Thank you" and "Happy Halloween". Maryn would not do it! All she would say was "Adios!" She said that she had all kinds of "Adios's".

The other interesting thing that happened was at an old man's house. I was the one who walked the kids up to the door while Glenn waited on the street. When I took the kids to this old man's house, he opened the door and the kids said, "Trick or treat!"

The man was so happy! When he welcomed us into his home, we hesitated. I could tell from his thick accent that he was from Germany. We stepped up into the doorway and waited for him to get the candy. He stood there and shook our hands and complimented the kids on how cute they looked but made no move to get any candy from anywhere. I realized that he had no idea what we were doing there. I think he might have had a little bit of Alzheimer's. When he motioned for us to come all the way in, I told him that we couldn't stay. He asked me why we weren't going to visit longer. I told him that we just came to wish him a "Happy Halloween" and show him the kids' costumes. As we walked away, Maryn said, "We didn't even get any candy!" at the top of her voice! I was so embarrassed, but the man didn't notice. He just stood in the doorway and said strange little cute things while waving to the kids, like, "Goody-goody!"

So, that was our Halloween! We came home and had our movie night. We watched a live version of "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride". The kids thought it was a great movie. Now they're in my bed fighting over the covers. Fun fun!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

So fun! That sounds like a great neighborhood to go to. Good handling of the old man.

Jill said...

I'm sure Trick-or-Treating seems like a very strange custom to those who aren't from this culture. I love how this man was so happy to see you even though he had no idea what you were doing at his door all dress up. Friendly guy!

Mindy said...

I would love to hear the many "Adios'". She amazing! You probably made that man's whole day. You should visit him again or bring him some cookies. I'm so mglad Glenn got to go with you guys. Glad you had such a fun family night.